||Thursday, October 1, 2020
||12:00 - 5:15 p.m.
Networking Happy Hour to follow
The Barristers Club will hold its tenth annual meeting on Thursday October 1. This half-day conference gives attorneys and law students the opportunity to further their professional development by obtaining CLE credit and networking with their peers.
The 2020 annual meeting will give attendees invaluable tips for handling a case through all stages of litigation. The program will begin by providing practical skills for initiating a lawsuit and will take you through discovery, dispositive motions, and settlement strategies. The 2020 annual meeting will focus on skills attorneys and law students from both sides of the courtroom should know to successfully manage a case and achieve favorable client result.
SESSION I (1.25 Hour MCLE) 12:00 - 1:30 p.m.
Judges Panel sponsored by Farella Braun + Martel
Hear from Bay Area judges about their background and tips and tricks for junior lawyers on how to succeed in court.
- Hon. Mariano-Florentino Cuéllar, Supreme Court of California
- Hon. Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers, U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- Hon. Carin Fujisaki, California Court of Appeal, First District
- Hon. Christopher Hite, San Francisco Superior Court
SESSION II (1 Hour MCLE) 1:45 - 2:45 p.m.
Pleadings: Ins and Outs of Filing a Lawsuit & How to Respond
- Learn strategies for filing a lawsuit, including evaluating where you should file, who you should sue, and how to defeat a demurrer/motion to dismiss.
- Overview of responsive pleading alternatives, including when you should move to compel arbitration, move to dismiss, and/or file an answer.
- Key differences and similarities of practicing in state court and federal court that will help you perfect your practice
Courtney Brown, Law Offices of Mary Catherine Wiederhold
Sean Herman, Hanson Bridgett
Jamie Wells, McGuireWoods LLP
SESSION III (1 Hour MCLE) 3:00 - 4:00 p.m.
Discovery 101: Written Discovery & Depositions; What You Need to Know
- Best practices for written discovery, including providing an overview of the different methods of written discovery, when to use them, and how to respond.
- An overview of tips for ensuring compliance with discovery obligations, including recent amendments to the Federal Rules and California Code of Civil Procedures that will help avoid motions to compel.
- Ways to perfect your deposition style—including introduction of exhibits, lodging objections, questioning non-responsive witnesses, and dealing with difficult opposing counsel.
Thomas Lloyd, Squire Patton Boggs
Sophia Achermann, Fiore Achermann
Anna Liu, Partner,Steven Adair MacDonald & Partners, P.C.
Raisa Dyadkina, Squire Patton Boggs
SESSION IV (1 Hour MCLE) 4:15 - 5:15 p.m.
Avoiding Trial: Benefits of Moving for Summary Judgment & Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Practical skills for bringing or opposing summary judgment, including when to bring them, how to defeat them, and common pitfalls to avoid.
- How to deliver persuasive oral argument by learning what judges are really interested in knowing.
- Tips and tricks for settling cases, including how mediation and other alternative dispute resolutions can help you achieve a favorable result for client.
Aaron Gothelf, American Arbitration Association
Hon. Ethan Schulman, San Francisco Superior Court
Marie Jonas, Folger Levin LLP
Lindsey Mignano, Smith Shapourian Mignano
Event Code: B207320
||BASF Law Student
Sessions can be purchased at an individual rate. Please login to view prices.
View Conference Flyer here
- You may register for the entire conference and receive special pricing, or register for individual sessions.
- Sign-in to your account and select Register Myself at the bottom of the page. Use Forgot Username or Forgot Password if you don't know your account information. Don't have an account? Select Create Account.
- Once signed in, click the Add button next to each program that you would like to attend, or click the Add button next to The Complete Litigation Summit to add all of the sessions to your registration.
- Select Proceed to Checkout to enter payment information and complete the registration process.
Thank you to our sponsors!
For sponsorship opportunities, email firstname.lastname@example.org.