The Bar Association of San Francisco presents
Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Forensic Economics
(But Were Afraid to Ask)
||Wednesday, July 14, 2021
||9:00 - 10:00 a.m.
||No MCLE Provided
Economic damages continues to be an area that daunts many litigators. Not only does it involve math, but also alien concepts, like present value, life expectancy, taxes, and stock options. How can you depose and cross examine economic experts when you don’t even understand their reports?
Forensic economist Nora Ostrofe, MBA CEA AVA, will carefully explain the fundamentals of how economists calculate economic damages in terms that you will understand. She will also address perspectives that experts take that influence value. She will take time to respond to participant queries in Question and Answer sessions and will follow up on specific questions via e-mail. And, she will also give useful practice pointers, such as: minimizing economic expert fees; obtaining economic data through discovery; and how to depose and cross examine opposing experts.
Takeaways from the webinar include: How to read and understand an economist’s report; how to build a credible case for damages (or how to counteract absurd damage claims); and how to get the most from your economic expert.
Specific topics the webinar will address:
- Calculating Present Value, Growth Rates, and Prejudgment Interest
- Determining the Duration of Economic Loss: Work-life, Life, and Healthy Life Expectancies
- Determining Wage Loss: Earning History; Earning Capacity; Self-Employed Workers
- All About Fringe Benefits
- Earnings in Retirement: Pensions, Social Security, Survivor Benefits
- Equity Compensation: Restricted Stock Units, Stock Options, Stock Shares, Privately Held or pre-IPO Companies
- Incorporating Taxes: After-tax earnings, tax neutralization calculations
- Atypical Plaintiffs: Children, Elderly, Unemployed, Self-employed
- Practice Pointers
- Attendee Questions
Event Code: G211615A
For a printable flyer, click here.
- Sign-in to your account and select Register Myself at the bottom of the page.
- Use Forgot Username or Forgot Password if you don't know your account information. Don't have an account? Select Create Account.
- Select Proceed to Checkout to enter payment information, submit your order and complete the registration process.
A link to access the Zoom webinar will be sent in your confirmation e-mail prior to the start of the event. If you do not receive login credentials, please double check your Spam Folder. If you have any trouble, please contact email@example.com as soon as possible before the program starts so we can assist with troubleshooting. You may need to consult your local IT technician for connection issues.
Program recordings are not guaranteed, nor immediately accessible to registrants. Approved recordings of live programs are converted to On-Demand CLE Courses and available for separate purchase through a third-party library 7-10 business days after the live recording. Thank you for your support.
Substitution, Cancellation, and Refund Requests
For CLE events of 1.5 hours or less, Lunch & Learn programs, Happy Hours, Receptions, and Mixers, a refund is available if you submit your cancellation request at least 48 hours prior to the event. A $10 handling fee will deducted from your refund. Please complete the Event Cancellation Form.
For CLE events longer than 1.5 hours, and for special events such as conferences, symposiums, professional development training programs, a 50% refund is available if you cancel at least 10 business days prior to the event. Please complete the Event Cancellation Form.
If you are unable to attend, you may send a substitute. Please complete the Event Cancellation Form.
People with disabilities and/or special requests should contact BASF regarding reasonable accommodations.