The Appellate Law Section presents
When and How to Use Writ Petitions in State Civil Cases
||Wednesday, September 7, 2022
||11:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
||12:00 - 1:15 p.m.
||1 Hour in Appellate Specialization
Writ petitions can be an invaluable tool to challenge adverse trial court rulings. Two appellate attorneys—including one who was a writ attorney at the First District Court of Appeal—will discuss when to consider filing a writ petition in state civil cases and how to successfully use them in your practice. Program handouts will contain detailed substantive information, as well as nuts and bolts for filing a writ petition. The program itself will cover some of that material, but will also focus on practical guidance and strategic insights useful for both trial and appellate attorneys.
- Criteria that support writ review
- When writ review is provided by statute, is discretionary, or is unavailable
- Differences between common law and statutory writs
- Procedural requirements for writ petitions
- The Court of Appeal’s decision options
Michael von Loewenfeldt, Wagstaffe, von Loewenfeldt, Busch & Radwick
Event Code: G225309
For a printable flyer, click here.
For related events, click here.
Registration is required.
Substitution, Cancellation, and Refund Requests
- Sign-in to your account and select Register Myself at the bottom of the page.
- Use Forgot Username or Forgot Password if you don't know your account information. Don't have an account? Select Create Account.
- Select Proceed to Checkout to enter payment information, submit your order and complete the registration process.
For CLE events of 1.5 hours or less, Lunch & Learn programs, Happy Hours, Receptions, and Mixers, a refund is available if you submit your cancellation request at least 48 hours prior to the event. A $10 handling fee will deducted from your refund. Please complete the Event Cancellation Form.
For CLE events longer than 1.5 hours, and for special events such as conferences, symposiums, professional development training programs, a 50% refund is available if you cancel at least 10 business days prior to the event. Please complete the Event Cancellation Form.
If you are unable to attend, you may send a substitute. Please complete the Event Cancellation Form.
To receive MCLE credit, you must sign in during the designated MCLE registration period. This activity is approved for Minimum Continuing Legal Education credit by the State Bar of California. BASF is a certified provider: Provider #103
People with disabilities and/or special requests should contact BASF regarding reasonable accommodations.