The Bar Association of San Francisco presents
The Ethical Conundrums of Trial Lawyers
||Tuesday, January 31, 2023
||1:30 - 2:00 p.m.
||2:00 - 3:15 p.m.
||1 Hour in Legal Ethics
Richard Zitrin, an ethics professor for over 40 years led a double life as a trial lawyer, trying over 50 cases to verdict. Richard will read a brief excerpt from his new book Trial Lawyer: A Life Representing People Against Power, and then engage in an interactive discussion with the audience about several of the most difficult and important ethical issues he has faced over his long career that he addresses in his book.
Trial Lawyer: A Life Representing People Against Power is available for purchase from the publisher, PoliticalAnimalPress.com, or at Amazon.com and other venues. See the attached flyer, which contains a bio and book description.
- Why TRUST is a vital ethical issue, and a discussion of ways in which lawyers can best develop trust between attorney and client
- How to develop what some call “CULTURAL AWARENESS” and cultural understanding, which helps enable lawyers from different cultures – in Richard’s case a privileged white male background – to effectively and empathically represent clients, interview witnesses, and present cases that take lawyers outside their usual comfort zone
- How to face SYSTEMIC RACISM in the courtroom and in preparing a case
- Whether there are ever times when, in the lawyer’s definition of “the interests of justice,” going to or even BEYOND THE EDGE OF THE ETHICS RULES may be warranted, including an example from his own practice
Richard will be happy to sign copies for anyone bringing a copy of the book to the CLE.
Event Code: G231619
For a printable flyer, click here.
This is a hybrid event. You have two ticket options, please select one.
* Pre-Registration is required for either option
- Virtual Option
- In-Person Option (Limited Spacing)
Location: BASF Offices, 201 Mission St., Suite 400
RSVP is required prior to the program date.
Health and Safety: Will be in guidelines pursuant to SF health orders.
Please Note: All attendees will be required at check-in to show proof of full COVID vaccination. Additionally, all guests will be required to wear masks indoors and in outdoor situations where social distancing is not possible. We kindly ask that anyone experiencing symptoms consistent with COVID remain home.
Be sure to log in to get your discounts!
Refunds will be given up to 48 hours in advance, less a $10 handling fee.
- Sign-in to your account and select Register Myself at the bottom of the page.
- Use Forgot Username or Forgot Password if you don't know your account information. Don't have an account? Select Create Account.
- Select Proceed to Checkout to enter payment information, submit your order and complete the registration process.
If you are unable to attend, you may send a substitute. Please complete the Event Cancellation Form.
To receive MCLE credit, you must sign in during the designated MCLE registration period. This activity is approved for Minimum Continuing Legal Education credit by the State Bar of California. BASF is a certified provider: Provider #103
People with disabilities and/or special requests should contact BASF regarding reasonable accommodations.